Temporary bans and message reporting

Post game suggestions for future Eras and Speed rounds.

Moderator: Moderator

RVD713
Player

Temporary bans and message reporting

Post by RVD713 »

I find it that from time to time some people forget this is a game. I've had some weird exchanges in Era2 that went far beyond fair-play and decency, and since then I have thought that some sort of control should be put in place to make the language used in messages be kept inside some limits.

This is why I am suggesting a "report message" button, which would get the message in the attention of a game admin for review.
If the message goes beyond the limits (limits that should be put in the rules), the offensive player should be penalized (ban for 1-2-3 days).
If the one who's reporting is abusing, he should get punished.

Messages that I consider as going to far are like this one:
Bon >>Link has been removed<<
Private messages are just that private, they are not to be posted on the forum, you have already contacted an admin regarding this issue, it is being dealt with.
pilot-lop
Player

Re: Temporary bans and message reporting

Post by pilot-lop »

I agree that is it not right to send messages like that but at the end of the day I do not think it will do much. Banning them for a few days will not do anything. People cheat and get banned but still people cheat.
RVD713
Player

Post by RVD713 »

Incremental punishments. 1day ban/3day /7day or permaban.
King of Rome
Player

Post by King of Rome »

I agree.

A ban would be a good thing. A 1 to 3 day ban for anyone sending bad messages.

Hopefully in time, people will learn that this is just a game, we are all here to have fun and not to be abused by random keyboard warriors!
bon
Game Owner

Post by bon »

Players have no say whatsoever what bans are put in place.

There are already proceedures in place.

-If you have an issue with a message someone in game has sent you contact an admin.
-From there an admin will decide what to do, you will not be told the outcome but depending on the message you are advised to ignore user if you are offended in anyway, that is what the ignore user tab is for.
-An admin will decide on the severity of the message and will often send a warning to the player. We DO NOT ban just because you receive a message you are offended by.

As far as the player that has been reported well its up to them, if they receive a warning and continue they will be suspended, if after the suspension they continue to send offensive mails they will be removed from the game.

There is no need to change how we deal with this issue and players have no say in what happens. Unfortunately what would offend some doesnt offend others, so what you find offensive might not be offensive to admins. We would prefer if you are offended you contact an admin asap and place the user on ignore. Then you will no longer have any issues at all.
Red
Player

Post by Red »

Oh no! Such n such offended me in ingame messages, I will report the person.
Oh no,I got massed, I will report the person and get them temp banned!

It’s a game people! Grow some balls, unwrap the cotton wool and have fun like the game was intended. It’s a war game, people are going to war and hit you. Get over it.

:D
RVD713
Player

Post by RVD713 »

yea, it makes perfect sense what both bon and red pointed out, from some perspectives.

However, you are just building cliques, where u wont ban people you know because they get more leeway for being friends or w/e. I've heard it happen, i've seen it happen.

On what red said, i just want to point out that not once has there been a toxic culture that thrived, and i dont see this kind of behavior encouraging people to play the game.

edit: removing the link with the message looks like covering up for someone. and do i really need 2 party consent to post them? would lol if it wouldnt be weird as hell.
King of Rome
Player

Post by King of Rome »

Welcome to the world we live in now. You are not allowed to insult or cause harm to anyone.

Like it or not, but people do get in trouble for what they say on the internet.... e.g, Some woman "insulted" her ex-husbands new wife and said she looked like a horse. She was arrested. She now faces a three-year jail sentence and a fine of up to $65,000.

And i don't think the player was complaining about getting hit or massed in the game. I think the player was suggesting that they don't want the abuse which came from the other player.

And setting the player to "ignore" doesn't solve the problem. It just pushes the problem on-wards to the next player.
bon
Game Owner

Post by bon »

RVD713 wrote: 4 years ago yea, it makes perfect sense what both bon and red pointed out, from some perspectives.

However, you are just building cliques, where u wont ban people you know because they get more leeway for being friends or w/e. I've heard it happen, i've seen it happen.

On what red said, i just want to point out that not once has there been a toxic culture that thrived, and i dont see this kind of behavior encouraging people to play the game.

edit: removing the link with the message looks like covering up for someone. and do i really need 2 party consent to post them? would lol if it wouldnt be weird as hell.
RVD713 you came to me on discord and the matter was dealt with, regardless of what the message was or what it contained or who it was directed towards it was removed. Now you are saying that certain players get more leeway for being friends well that is not the case, players get warned like i posted previously and if they continue they receive a suspension after that a ban.

Fact is we have ways to deal with these situations and as far as the admins are concerned there is an ignore user ingame function you can utilize if you do not want to receive anymore ingame messages.

Really it is up to myself as the owner of the game how accounts are dealt with, you have played your part in reporting the account, I have done my part in dealing with the issue. There was no need for you to come here and post suggesting how players should be dealt with, while I appreciate the fact that you reported the offender once you have thats the end of your part in what happens.

If you see said player go inactive then you will know that he didnt heed the warning and was removed from the game, otherwise thats it.

Really I think that players need to harden up somewhat, we admin the game, if you have an account that is bothering your alliance we are not here to ban the account because you have no other way to deal with it. He is not cheating, he is doing nothing wrong other than sending messages that really shouldnt be sent but thats for myself and other admins to deal with.
King of Rome wrote: 4 years ago And i don't think the player was complaining about getting hit or massed in the game. I think the player was suggesting that they don't want the abuse which came from the other player.

And setting the player to "ignore" doesn't solve the problem. It just pushes the problem on-wards to the next player.
The problem was solved, he came to me on discord and put in a complaint and it was deal with, there was no need for it to go further as it makes no difference at all what is posted here i am handling the situation.

Obviously he has no faith in what we do as admins because he posted here. Once again the situation was dealt with end of story.
Red
Player

Post by Red »

If I mess up in the game I would expect to be punished just as anyone else would be.
If I was going to be punished,it would have been when I used to play.
Since my return this year I pretty much don’t care about accounts and such,I much prefer to just have fun and chat with friends. I do not care if a person is in this or that alliance or even if the person owns the game,but if I do wrong then I would expect to be punished fully,perhaps even more so as I should know better. However,I am here to have fun.

Let’s have fun n move on yes? 8-)